2.22.2013

Morals

What has challenged your morals.

Well, I don't know that it was necessarily a challenge, but I suppose it could have been. We got paid yesterday, and while I was quite happy to see the amount that was deposited into my account, I knew it wasn't right. It's not that hard to figure out what I'm going to get paid before I actually get paid (# hours worked x pay rate + incentives for january) So I had a good idea of what it should be before taxes, so imagine my surprise when it was about $250-$300 more than what I expected (after taxes even!) I had a lot of thoughts, like maybe I got a bonus, or a massive raise (I definitely deserve it...in the most humble way). But I just knew it wasn't right.

Now, I don't know if they would have ever noticed, but even if it was a bonus or something, I decided to let my boss know that I thought there had been an error. If it were a bonus, awesome, then I could confirm my worth to them, and if not, then while the money would have been nice to have, it wasn't mine and I would have felt guilty for not saying anything (plus if they had come back later an asked about it, I doubt, "I thought it was the bonus I felt I deserved" would fly! ;) Come to find out, I was paid someone else's $350 incentives for about 3 months, and so I wasn't able to keep it. My co-worker joked that I "just had to complain about the extra money", but in reality, I wouldn't have felt right about keeping it, and to be honest, it wasn't even a real 'challenge'. Sure it was frustrating seeing what my account would have had with that, but again, it wasn't mine...and I feel proud of myself for saying something and getting that taken care of ASAP. Who knows...maybe I'll be blessed for being honest about it someday.

No comments

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall