9.18.2008

. more random babblings .

So, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, especially since I want to be designing more and making new templates and that type of stuff. I just have a concern, mainly because it happened to me, and it bugged me, then I realized I've done it to others.

When I start designing, i sometimes have designers block..you know, where you can't seem to get anything going. Well, I spend a LOT of time looking at other photography and design sites to get ideas....so my question..is it illegal to copy a layout? Like "two pictures go here" the words go here, etc. etc. Does that make sense? And maybe not necessarily COPY, but change it up a little. I feel bad when I find a layout that I want to try, because I don't want to do anything illegal and steal their ideas. But, at the same time, if you think about it, people had to get their ideas somewhere. How do we know that they didn't borrow an idea..(not that that makes it right, if it is illegal...) lol, but does that make any sense? I'm really having a hard time with this, because the other day I looked at a site and thought, oh my heck...they STOLE MY DESIGN! but then I realized, I got that idea from someone else, so it's not really mine, but it still really bothered me, but I have found so many cute designs and want to "copy" in a way. I try to change them up, but they just don't look as good, ya know? So...those are my thoughts...let me know your opinion. Be brutally honest, because I need to know. I'm really bothered by it...lol...so yeah...

Some examples:
www.inababycarriage.com
www.pixelpatchwork.blogspot.com



As opposed to the same exact layout, just maybe different colors, pictures, and words? Does that make more sense? So say, they just took the layout from the first picture, and just changed the wording a little bit, the colors, and the background, but left everything else the same?

Alright...have a great day...

5 comments

Ashlie said...

I'm not really sure what you're saying they did. Does their card look exactly like yours? I would be upset if it was the same card with the picture swapped out or something. If you are saying it was just the layout that was similar, I'd have to say I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There are only so many ways to layout a card and lots of them are pretty similar. I guess I'd have to see what you were referring to to really say what I thought. It's probably not worth getting too excited over unless you think they actually copied your design and pasted in their info. ;)

Unknown said...

Going back to my media law days, stealing a layout is definitely not anything illegal. Got to www.copyright.gov and you'll get a feel of what creative ideas are and aren't protected. In your case, your photos and any text is covered, however, a general layout design is currently not something that is protected which means you're safe to use others and others are free to use yours...like it or not. However, I think an official business website design can be granted some protection, but it is still uncertain how much. See here
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum44/418.htm
for a little more insight on that. This is just my understanding of it...take it for what it's worth.

Stephanie Kay said...

It's not illegal unless you get caught. :) Just joking, yeah what Tina said, it's not bad to copy the layout, just don't copy it EXACTLY how it is, with the colors and everything.

Ashlie said...

I would say what you show there is not a copyright infringement. It's cute too by the way. :)

Unknown said...

Way cute cards... you should be flattered if one of your "collegues" uses an idea!

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall