10.27.2014

Homecoming 2014 - Part 1

Cokeville High School Homecoming was held on October 3. It is my brother's senior year, and I have never seen him play football, so I decided I would go. Plus it was my 10-year class reunion (WHAT?!) so I thought it would be fun to be able to attend that as well. A couple of weeks before I received a call from one of the CHS Student Body officers asking me if I would be one of their speakers at homecoming. I told them I would do it. Believe it or not, speaking in front of people doesn't really freak me out anymore (at least not as bad!) I found out what the topic was and thought about it for a while, never having a real concrete idea of what I was going to say, but figured I'd put it all together eventually.

My mom and grandma came to Logan on the 2nd and we headed back to Cokeville. It's been a while since I've been to homecoming, so I was actually quite excited for the festivities to be had. We went early for the "Lighting of the C" which is something you just have to be there to witness. Seriously. There's nothing quite like it. While we were waiting, one of my classmates showed up. I haven't seen him in about 10 years, so it was good to talk with him and get caught up. After the pep rally on the street we headed to the bonfire, which is always a good time. Once the captains had spoken, the race to the school was on.


Each class 7-12 comes up with a class cheer, then the coaches all do their little speech, then it's time for donuts. A ton of memories definitely came flooding back to me. It's so fun to see certain traditions carry on throughout the years. Of course, after donuts the football boys go do their thing (I still have no idea what it is...It's somewhat of a secret...lol) and the volleyball team does their thing. I asked my dad what they were doing, and he said, "What do you think?" He shows an awesome volleyball video that has been shown since before he even started coaching at Cokeville, back when he was coaching at Bear Lake. It brings me to tears every time, so I wanted to watch it. Then the coaches left, and the girls did their secret business.


 
Here are some pictures from my senior year of Homecoming. See that little boy on the left, yeah, that's the brother that is graduating this year. Crazy, right? 


The girls in my class after the donuts.

Here is a picture of me and that little boy now...He still has that same little smirk. Love him!


When I got back to my parent's house that night, I decided it was time to put my speech together. Holy mother of something, my thoughts just would not come together. I was up until about 1:00 before deciding to just get some sleep. Good idea....I got very, very VERY little sleep. It's kind of funny because anytime someone would ask me if I was ready, I told them I'd just wing it. I kind of thought that I might have to. But it came together, at least I thought so.

To be continued... (mostly because I don't want this to be super long, and I have to get ready for work.)

No comments

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall