7.07.2014

28 by 29 | Conference Talks 1


11 // Read a General Conference talk each week

Part of my goal for the 28 by 29 project is to improve myself mentally, physically, and spiritually. One way I'd like to do the last one is to read a General Conference talk each week. I can get the last 87 Conference issues of the Ensign on my phone and kindle, so it's easy access. I didn't want to be too particular on what I read, I just wanted it to be kind of random, so I use random.org to choose the issue, then the talk. Since technically my 28 by 29 started on a Wednesday, I'm going to use Sunday as my day to read the talks, and post my thoughts on Monday.

The talk I chose this week is from April 2011, by Larry M. Gibson, called, "Sacred Keys of the Aaronic Priesthood."

He speaks about the responsibility of holding the Aaronic Priesthood keys, and how he worked with a young Deacon president to learn his responsibilities. He has this young man go to the scriptures to find the answer, and then to pray about what he needs to do. One part I really liked was when Elder Gibson says, "Go to the scriptures and discover for ourselves what our duties are." I think can apply to both men and women in any callings we have. Yes, the priesthood responsibilities are more spelled out, but in any calling, if we have questions, if we turn to the Lord with real intent, we will learn what our duties are.

It goes on to explain that one of the responsibilities is to invite all to come unto Christ, and one way to do such is to serve others. I love that he quote President Monson saying, "The priesthood is not really so much a gift as it is a commission to serve, a privilege to lift, and an opportunity to bless the lives of others." As there is so much controversy as to whether or not women should have the priesthood, I think the quote speaks quite directly to women, as we are known to be more charitable, and to serve. We don't need to hold the priesthood to serve others, but we can use the blessings of the priesthood to serve.

Elder Gibson goes on to say, "Service is the very foundation of the priesthood—service to others as exemplified by the Savior." Without service, including service of women, the priesthood would not function the way our Heavenly Father intended it to.

When I first chose this talk, I thought, "Oh great. A talk about the priesthood. How will this apply to me?" But as I read through, yes it was more intended for men, but I was able to see and notice how the priesthood blesses me in my life, and how I, as a woman, can use the blessings of the priesthood, service being one of them!

No comments

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall