12.10.2008

Tis the Season

For mutual tonight, my advisor Emily and I decided to do some type of service at Sunshine Terrace (a rest home) not too far from our church. Emily (bless her heart) set everything up and decided to do some caroling. After opening exercises, I told the girls what we were doing and there were a lot of moans and groans. I told them we were doing it anyway, and so we drove to Sunshine. We got into the building and split into two groups. I never imagined what a great experience it ended up being. It was such a simple thing, and we were only there for about 30 minutes, going room to room, but it was so much fun. I think the girls ended up having a lot of fun as well. It was just fun to see the people and see their faces light up when we sang to them. We had one sweet old lady who didn't want us to leave. We only sang about 2 songs at each room, but we ended up singing 5 or 6 at this ladies. She was so sweet. We had another lady who told us her birthday was the day after Christmas, and she wanted us to sing Happy Birthday to her, plus about 3 other songs. We also walked into a Hispanic man's room. He didn't speak ANY English, but we decided to sing to him anyway. I don't think he understood, but halfway through the first song he gave us a thumb's up. He didn't have any legs, and during the second song, he scooted to the edge of his bed and started rummaging through the dresser next to his bed. He pulled out a box of ritz crackers and gave each of us a package of ritz. What a sweet man. Though he didn't understand what we were saying, it was so awesome to see his reaction. It brings tears to my eyes to think about it. It was almost time to leave, and we had just finished singing to some lady in the hall, and we were walking away. We heard a nurse yelling (not really yelling, but I couldn't think of a better word) at us and asking us if we wanted to sing to a couple of ladies they had just put into bed. Of course we weren't going to say no (even it made the other group have to wait). So we went into their room and "sang them to sleep." One of the ladies kept saying, "You have to keep singing, I'm not asleep yet." It was so cute. What a great experience though. It was fun to see the girls having fun when they were earlier mumbling and groaning about it. I really think it comes from the leaders. As a leader you have to have a positive attitude about everything, because the girls are going to feed off of us. It's frustrating when some of the moans and groans come from the leaders. (I'm not saying I don't do it, because I occasionally do...) but I'm working on, because we have this calling for a reason, and the reason is not to sit and complain about our activities, or songs we have to sing in sacrament meeting that no one knows and that we struggle with. It's just been a great end of the year. We have been doing quite a bit of service, and it has been so much fun. I love my calling, and I love the girls that I work with! I have an awesome advisor, and I am so happy to be in this calling! Anyway...just wanted to share that experience with you...It was a wonderful activity!! Makes me want to do a lot more of that type of stuff...lol...hmm....anyway..

Here ya go Linds and Kelli! lol, I will get more soon. These are just some funny ones that I wanted to share!




I know I'm such a downer...but...I have to share this bit of bad news.....The suns traded boris diaw and raja bell today...I am so terribly distraught by the bad news my husband shared with me! :( I didn't believe him at first, but it was just confirmed as I changed the channel to 207 and read it on the screen! I loved Bell and Diaw! Why couldn't they have traded Shaq instead? What is this world coming too...as long as Nash doesn't go anywhere, I'll be a-okay! :) Haha...They are playing the lakers tonight too, Kennan's favorite team! GO SUNS!!!! (they are getting beat right now... though...just by 5. Don't worry, there will be a comeback!)

3 comments

Lindsay said...

What a fun activity! Doing service is always a great experience but I'm glad it went well, especially since the girls weren't to thrilled about it at first! Thanks for the pics! Kelli is loving it! She can't wait to get her cd! Anyway, sounds like you're into NBA quite a bit! We occasionally watch the Jazz but we're more into college hoops! haha GO COUGS! They are kicking butt this season so far! Hopefully they keep it up! Merry Christmas!

Stephanie Kay said...

That sounds like it turned out great! I think those kind of experiences are so nice, I need to do some service. You got me all motivated now. Thats great you love your calling as well, sounds like you are doing great at it.

So we're hanging out next week right?! :) Random...I know. But did Tatum get a hold of you? She said she'd set it up this time.

Did your NBA team end up winning by the way? I don't think I've watched a basketball game on tv...ever. hehe, I like to go to them, but only because of the atmosphere, I usually just end up watching the cheerleaders though. :)

Damien, Kelli, Elias, and Liam said...

The pics are turning out so cute! Do you know when I can be expecting them? I was hoping to use them for a christmas card but time is cutting short. Thanks for the sneak peaks!

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall