10.23.2008

My take...

So, are you ready for this? I didn't want to get into it, but here is my take on politics and voting. I can't believe another 4 years has gone by and we're about to elect another president. As people have discussed their opinions about who they are going to vote for, and getting an almost sick feeling in my gut when I hear people say certain things (from both sides mind you!) I just wanted to share this. I'm sure you have all heard it, but there are some things I wanted to point out..

As citizens we have the privilege and duty of electing office holders and influencing public policy. Participation in the political process affects our communities and nation today and in the future.

Latter-day Saints as citizens are to seek out and then uphold leaders who will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest. Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties.

Therefore, in this election year, we urge you to register to vote, to study the issues and candidates carefully and prayerfully, and then to vote for and actively support those you believe will most nearly carry out your ideas of good government.

The Church affirms its neutrality regarding political parties, platforms, and candidates. The Church also affirms its constitutional right of expression on political and social issues.

Sincerely yours,

Thomas S. Monson
Henry B. Eyring
Dieter F. Uchtdorf
The First Presidency


Alright, so the first thing that stuck out was in the second paragraph. I know it's politics and it's somewhat difficult to find someone who is HONEST, etc. (HA!) Also, someone who has principles compatible with the gospel. (in my opinion someone who doesn't support abortion, gay marriage, to name a few) In selecting the candidate, I also love how it said to study it out carefully and PRAYERFULLY! How many people do you think actually pray about who they are supposed to vote for? I know they've said it before, but have we actually thought to do so. Or are we following what WE think is best. We may think that one candidate speaks better, has better ideas, etc, but are those your own thoughts, or did you actually pray about who you needed to vote for. Put your own selfish thoughts and feeling aside and listen to what the Lord would have you do. I really think this is an important election, and if we don't consider our options carefully and PRAYERFULLY, things may turn out for the worse...

Now, I'm not saying to vote for one or the other. One thing that has really bugged me is that people believe everything they hear. Whether it's about Obama or McCain, they'll believe anything. For example. I have gotten about 500 emails about all these terrible things about Obama. I know you have all gotten them too, but whether they are true or not, why would you believe it? You can't base your judgement off of some stupid email. I mean, I got an email a while ago about a talk that Boyd K. Packer had written, then recently got another email saying that he didn't really say that stuff. That's about a church leader, which makes me think, really, how can you believe it. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying you can't base your judgements off of that. And I'm sure the same is true about McCain too. I just use Obama as an example because they're the only emails I've actually gotten.

and don't think I'm sticking up for Obama, because I'm definitely not. I personally get a sick feeling in my gut when I think about him being our president...(lol, but the same is true about McCain! ;) But...everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's whats great about living in America. You have the right to vote for whoever you want, but I just wanted to share that and ask that before you vote you PRAY about who you should vote for. Don't just follow what YOU think is best, because let's be honest...who knows better, you or the Lord?! Right! (**EDITED TO ADD** and that doesn't mean if you get Obama as your answer you have to keep praying until you get a different answer!!! :) (TINA!))

OKay, well...sorry this is so long, I hope I didn't offend anyone. That's not the purpose of this. I don't care who you vote for..(well, kinda, but you know what I"m saying!) It's not like I"m gonna like you less for voting one way or the other....But...yeah...alright..Love you all! HAPPY VOTING!!

***EDITED TO ADD***
I just thought that I would point out also (thanks Tina) that "the Church affirms its neutrality regarding political parties, platforms, and candidates," and as Tina brought to my attention, I feel it is also important to say that you can be a liberal democrat and still be a good mormon. Just because you vote one way or another doesn't mean that you are less of a person, or not a good member of the church. So yeah...

okay, I'm really hoping that I am not offending ANYONE!!! haha...this is my personal opinion. and I appreciate all of your comments! :) I will love you all the same, no matter who you vote for! (and Tina, I am just mentioning your name because you gave me crap and freaked me out, so I'm just giving it back!!!)

8 comments

Lindsay said...

Bre, that was a great post, and you are right about the praying thing, it is a good idea and we should all do it. My dad is big into politics and he is one who doesn't have to be told to pray about these sorts of things, he just does it. But ya, it was a great post, lets all pray this election turns out ok. It freaks me out!

Stephanie Kay said...

I agree, great post. We've been praying everynight that the best candidate will win! We don't say names of course because we don't know for sure who the best will be, so I hope our prayers are answered and the best candidate actually does win. But like you said, I also get sick to my stomach when I think Obama might win, he really scares me...

Gayle said...

Bre, you are awesome. I look forward each day to your posts. I agree, I think that this election is picking the best of two evils. And I have gotten ALL those emails also. I try to ignore them and not let them stick with me. But one thing that has stuck with me is... I am pretty sure, no I am sure that I would never vote for someone to be the president of the United States of America who will not, and does not put his hand over his heart when "our" flag goes by.
On a lighter note... Hope to see you Saturday.. Gayle

Shari Davis said...

I really enjoyed reading your post Bre! Those were some pretty profound words and they really hit home to me. I too am not sure as to whom I'm going to vote for, but I know that I need to pray about it before. It seems that I'm needing to pray about a lot of things for answers and this is definitely one of them. Thanks for the reminder!!!! Love you lots!!

Unknown said...

So if we feel that Obama is a good honest guy, with family values, and integrity, and good ideas, and would be a good choice for the future of our country, does that mean that we haven't prayed about it or that we should pray again and hopefully get a different answer? Just wonderin'. I think that both men are good honest guys, and the church has NEVER promoted one political group over another. You can be a liberal democrat (which I'm definitely not) and still be a good mormon. Just sayin! :)

Unknown said...

And I hope that last comment didn't come off mean or rude, cause I didn't mean it too...I just know that you like McCain over Obama, so I couldn't resist giving you a hard time! :) Great post!!

Jill said...

Hey Bre, you always amaze me with every picture that you post! You are very talented!
And I don't know if you still want opinions on the color pallets but I liked #2 and #3.
Also, I also agree on praying about who goes in office. We live in a crazy world and it's only going to get worse. Sorry that sound depressing huh! I am so thankful for the knowledge I have about the gospel. Especially when times are getting worse.

Unknown said...

Lol...you're hilarious! And don't worry, I'll keep praying till I get a different answer! :)

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall