6.23.2009

Girls Camp '09

Alright, well here it is. The awaited Girls Camp post! Here's how it happened...

Tuesday, June 16, while many of the Logan 17th ward young women and their leaders were up bright and early at 6:00, ready to leave by 6:30, I was peacefully sleeping. I didn't have to wake up until 9:00! HA! I went up later with Melanie (YW Pres) and one of our girls (Sarah, my Mia Maid Pres) who had a doctors appointment that morning. We left about 10:45-ish I'd say. Lucky us, we didn't have to set anything up...lol..Thanks Sarah for having to have knee surgery, and then rehab the morning we had to leave for girls camp so we didn't have to help set up! What a gem! Anyway, so I've never been to where we had girl's camp, but it was so pretty up there. It was up Cinnamon Creek, if that means anything to anyone. Gorgeous area!

Well, we got up there, and sat around until 1 when we had our first stake flag ceremony. We also had to do our skit, written and directed by the Tyler sisters. They did a FANTASTIC job, and I think ours was THE BEST skit EVER! It was so funny. Based off of some You-tube videos...The first part of the skit from THIS video. The three unicorns were the Tyler girls, Sam was Charley, Sarah was the blue one, and Abbie the pink. They were so cute. They even did the voices. They changed it so that they found a map to Mt. Timpanogos (the camp theme was temples). Ahh, I wish we had a video. It was great. Then, (when it gets to the singing part in the charley clip) the rest of us girls popped out of the 'Mt. Timpanogos' and did THIS clip, only we used all 8 YW values. Wow! I'm impressed that those girls came up with it! It was fabulous. Seriously, we had the best skit!

After skits and the flag ceremony, we had ward time FOREVER!! I love our ward and everything, but I think we all got a little bit bored with all the time we had together. Some girls painted fingernails, some girls played in the fire (UGH!!!!!), some girls napped, some girls ran around, I chose to spend my time making friendship bracelets out of yarn. Great fun! Some of the other girls saw me making them, so they asked me to teach them. Abbie was making a scarf (using her fingers) so i wanted to learn, so Sarah (she was our handicap by the way! I'm so glad she came though!) taught me how. so i made me the cutest scarf in the world! Everyone was jealous, and when I wear it to church on Sunday, while everyone is freezing, I'll be nice and toasty warm! super cute.

Then we had dinner (Lasagna, very delish!) and then the stake had some games. They played this one 'do what i'm doing' game, which I was the very first person to get what the trick was. Even though I didn't get up there and show everyone (I don't do public dancing). But if you don't believe me, ask Sam and Alice....they both heard me say it very first! I am the greatest! It was pretty fun, then we went back to our own camps.

That night was the snipe hunt. Ya know, I really don't remember doing snipe hunts in our GC. but I knew what they were. I just think the girls were really nice to me because I was the only new beehive, and I wasn't even old enough to be there. Though they did initiate me, they were still nice about it. Thanks girls! lol...Then we sat around the fire and talked until about 1:30 in the am. Great fun...then I went to bed, nearly froze, but I survived. The best part was I didn't have to sleep on the ground! I came prepared to rough it, but Melanie brought a twin air mattress that I used...I felt bad though when mine stayed pumped up, but the one Mel and Farina were using lost the air....hmmmm...sorry! lol...But like Mel commented in my last post, I was up BRIGHT AND EARLY at 6:30...though I really wanted to sleep..

Wow, this is getting long, so I'll cut to the chase...Wednesday was great. the girls had certification in the morning, it RAINED LIKE NO OTHER. Seriously! It rained so hard, and we didn't have a tarp over the fire, so we had to put that up. It was craziness! And while it sucked, it was still really pretty out, so you can't get too mad! Then we had ward time again FOREVER...seriously...wow...yeah...I won't get into my opinions on that. All I can say is I REALLY liked the way that our Girls camp was run when I was in YW. We were always busy, but I thought we had plenty of time for our wards. It kinda made me miss it. But also...it really made me appreciate the leaders and all the time they put into it! Crazy stuff! Especially the camp directors! WOWsers!! Mom..you rock!! and lets just say it made me feel a little bit bad about the story I told in my last post...haha...I already felt bad, but being on the other end of things gave me a whole new perspective. It was fun though, and though i got annoyed with the girls playing in the stupid fire! (I was one of them..hehe, but I'm a leader so it's okay) I still love the girls, and had fun camping with them. And Sarah was a real trooper trying to get around on her crutches. I'm super glad she was there to help keep me entertained!! (oh, just for those of you who went to gc with me...the camping area we went to was nothing like Spring mountain (is that where we went?) For one it was FLAT!!! No trekking uphill and dying just to get to the pavilion. Second all the camps were fairly close together. It took about 30 seconds to get to the pavillion...so not too bad!

Anyway, enough boring, here's some pics..a lot actually. These were taken by Gillian who I let borrow my camera. ENJOY!

So....the beehives left their tent open..EVEN though we warned them many times to keep it closed, and not eat in there. Well....a skunk popped in for a little visit....MUAH HAHAHAHA!!! (I don't know if this is only funny to some of us, or if the others were eventually let in on the funny-ness...but it was pretty darn funny!)
Here's Sarah and Shandra being creative with yarn.
Angie, Abbie and our Stake camp director playing games...or something. I don't know what Abbie is doing! lol...

Shandra stuffing her face with marshmallows while trying to say 'chubby bunny'. Abbie won this competition!
Here's Angie...ahhh, I'm sad that this is her, Kara and Sam's last years... :'( they graduated, so they 'get' to go with the old ladies now!
Here's our little trooper! (She's also on my vball team, hence the vball blanket!)
Danielle and Shauna laughing at who knows what... (and I don't know what shauna is doing right there...lol)
Tori
Ashley, one of our little beehives
Kaylie, another beehive (I think I spelled her name wrong, but oh well..lol) We're sad she's not in our ward anymore...
This was after/during the rain storm. so pretty!
Sam and Emily after we got our tarp up...we about died from the smoke!

Maria and Melanie (I know I said I wouldn't post pictures of you, but I thought this was cute! besides, I posted a way nasty pic of me below! so it should even out! :)

This is why GC pics should NEVER be released...Ugh, my hair is so greasy, and looks like I have dandruff (from the ashes)...however...it's not allowable to shower at GC. Its like some unwritten rule. Those who do...SHUN!!!!
yeah...those are pineapples...
Em
apparently the 'cool' thing to do is roast starburst...who knows....
Sam claims they were good...so I'll take her word for it!
So, that's that...ahhhh the joys of Girls Camp! I only stayed 2 days, and after that massive rainstorm, I'm kinda glad that's all I did stay! haha...It was fun though, and I'm glad I was able to go and spend time with the girls. Hopefully they had a great time too!

Oh, and randomness...but all week before camp I was thinking about that time at Girls camp..(haha, read last post) where we got in trouble because of another tent...well, one of the girls in the other tent was Jessie Pope, so I get up to camp, and guess who is there...yup..Jessie Pope. I had to laugh, of course there are no hard feelings still, but it was pretty funny. she was the camp director for one of the wards in our stake, so it was pretty fun to see someone I knew, and actually had our own GC experiences with...

Well, that's all for now. I will post my Vegas trip later. I'm too tired...rather, I'm too lazy to do it now. you're lucky I got this up! :) Enjoy!

2 comments

Unknown said...

We had ward camp up at Cinnamon Creek last year...and there was SO much free time for the girls it drove me crazy!? Not at all like our stake girls camps of our youth!? This year we have stake GC down in Heber Valley, and I am looking forward to a better experience (hopefully!). I love the skunk-in-the-tent picture though...that is crazy!?

Lindsay said...

So fun! I bet camp is more fun as a leader (I didn't love GC when I was in YW...is that bad?!) haha And I'm with you about the Starbursts, I had never heard of roasting them until I met Devin, it must be a Utah thing! haha

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall