8.16.2008

Yummy Recipe #1

So, Greg and I have made this recipe before, but last night it turned out SO GOOD, I just had to share it with everyone! It's so easy to make...

Clam Chowder
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
3 1/2 c. milk

2 c. potatos
1 c. onion
1 c. celery
2 cans clams (tuna fish size cans. I'm too lazy to go look at the size)

(I don't have the actual recipe for this part, so I'm going off of how I do it. Bare with me! :)
Cut up potatos, onion and celery. Put enough water in to barely cover the vegetables. Too much will make it runny. Open the clams and add JUST the juice. Put on the stove to boil until vegetables are soft.
Melt the butter and add flour. Whisk it until it is all mixed together. Add milk and whisk  until smooth. Leave on hot stove, whisking often so it doesn't get lumpy. Sauce will thicken as it stands.
When vegetables are soft, and sauce is thick, add the sauce to the vegetables (DON'T strain the vegetables of the water) and mix together. Add the clams and voila! Clam chowder. It's delicious with saltine crackers too...

Now, I always thought that clam chowder was gross...it had onions in it..YUCK!! (I'm one of those people who if it sounds or looks gross, it IS gross!) But once I tried it, SO GOOD! I always add more potatos than it calls for. Well, I should say first that it makes a LOT! Greg and I always HALF it, and we sometimes have some left over. (not last night though, cuz it was SO GOOD!) But I like more potatos, so I put in about 2 cups or more when i HALF it. For you onion haters out there, if you cook them long enough, you can't taste them...SERIOUSLY! I put in about a cup last night when we halfed it, which is what it usually calls for, and I was a bit worried, because although i LOVE THE SMELL of onions, i HATE THE TASTE. (okay, not the taste, but the texture? maybe?!?) But anyway...that may have been the difference. It adds flavor. But yeah, I like more potatos, but you can put as many as you want in. I do not like clams still.  The texture is too weird for me, so you can pick those out. I honestly don't know if adding the juice in when you boil the vegetables adds flavor, so you could try it without clams if you're not a clam fan, but I don't know. You can always pick them out! :) Anyway...so that's my delicious recipe for now! If I think of more, I will let you know. 

So yeah...I had some thoughts for you earlier when I was thinking about thoughts to share...but I don't remember them now. Oh, our first volleyball game is this Thursday at home against Bountiful at 4:00. Should be fun to see how that goes...

3 comments

Lindsay said...

Bre that sounds soooo good, too bad Devin won't even touch seafood...he'd never let me make this! lol but i would so make it if he didn't hate sea food!

Stephanie Kay said...

what do clams even taste like? not sure i've ever tried them...

Mary said...

Hey Bre. Thanks so much for the cute comments on my blog. And its good to meet you...kind of meet you, I guess. Chase has been working for my cousins John and Pete Isom, I think you know T. Anyway, they have a trucking company and he's been working with them. So I've missed him like crazy. Your pictures are SO cute! Wow, you're a good photographer. How fun. Hope you guys are doing good!

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall