4.27.2015

State Basketball 2015

The first weekend in March I had the opportunity to go watch my baby brother, Kennan, at state basketball. I had told my mom when I went to his last home game that if they made it to state, I wanted to go watch him. Since dad has a "Gold Card" for coaching for 500 years, his family gets in free to all state events. I was super nervous the week of regionals, then super happy when they took 3rd at regionals.

So the next week, mom came and picked me up on Wednesday after work so we could head out Thursday morning for Casper.



I didn't know, but my little sister McKenzie was also coming. Party!! We got all festive and painted our fingernails orange.


The next morning we picked up Grandma, who I also didn't know was coming. It was bound to be a party now! I sat up front with Dad, while Mom, McKenzie, and Grandma acted like teenagers in the backseat.



It's been a while since I took the forever long trip to Casper. I forgot how long and boring it is. It was still fun. I love traveling, so the only thing I could complain about was my sore butt.

We got into Casper and checked into the motel, then went to McDonald's for dinner, then up to the Event Center. Oh boy. It's been forever since I've been there. First thing both Kenz and I noticed was that they changed the seats. They are blue instead of red.

Oh, being back there, though. So many memories! Mostly volleyball memories, but a little basketball. It was fun to be back. I can't believe my baby brother is a senior. He's the last one, so there's no one to watch anymore.

Kennan didn't know Kenz or I were coming, so it was fun to surprise him. He has always loved the game of basketball, and has turned into quite the ball player. I was glad I got to watch him one last time.




They played Upton for their first game. They started out really good, but then slowly lost their rhythm. Kennan ended up fouling out, which was super sad. I really wish I could have sat next to him on the bench and tell him to keep his head up. Unfortunately they lost that first game, but the good thing about State is that it's double elimination, so he had at least one more game.

Brady and Ashbee also came. I'm serious when I say after that weekend, I'm quite convinced that I am adopted!


Kenz and I shared a bed, and she totally cuddled with me. Brady and Ashbee were in the other bed, so we had some fun talking about funny things, and apparently some old boyfriend I didn't know I had. Lol, good times....good times...




The next game was the next day. If they won they would have another.


Kennan did awesome! Hit quite a few three's, and can dribble and has major ball control. It was so good to see him play so well.


Casper College...Some more great memories there. Volleyball mostly.


We also got to watch the girl's play. It is so fun seeing them run the same offense I did when I was in high school. They have a good team, and made it to the state championship game.

Saturday was the last day for games. Kennan played again at Casper College. They were playing Snake River again. Kennan played really well again, however, they were not able to win that final game. It's always sad to see that, but I couldn't have been more proud of him. He's such a hard worker, and I'm sad I didn't make more of an effort to watch him throughout his high school years.



We stayed to watch the girls play in the championship game. It was a super intense game throughout. Finally in the 4th quarter they started to play better and come back. They ended up winning. It was so exciting. I was so happy for those beautiful girls and their amazing coaches! I love the coaches that I grew up knowing. They are such amazing men. I'm glad to see them still coaching.

We headed home after the game and got home about 3 in the AM. It was a really fun weekend, and I'm so glad that I was able to go. I don't know when/if I will ever go back for state basketball, so I'm glad that I got to go at least once more.


Since we got home so late, Dad said, "Maybe we'll just sleep in and tell people that we didn't come back until today." So naturally I slept in. I was the only one. Everyone else went to church.

No comments

© GREG & BRE AULLMAN
Maira Gall